This is an update regarding the situation with the Scam Emails and Texts that have gone out to members. We believe member contact information via the church center directory is all that has been compromised.
At this time, as far as we are aware, only the information made ‘public’ in the directory was accessed. No member financial information is at risk.
Here are some steps we are taking, and some you can take, as we move forward:
What we are doing:
- We are closing access to the directory until we are confident the information is not being actively accessed by the scammer.
- We are continuing our research into when this compromise occurred and how to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
What you can do:
- If you received the e-mail or text, please fill out the form below. This will help us to further investigate and properly handle the issue. You can also contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the church office at (757) 867-8082.
- Never respond to an e-mail from someone saying they are a staff person but using an e-mail address that is not from bbcyorktown.org. Especially do not provide personal information (pin numbers, personal details, financial information, etc.) to them by e-mail or text.
- If you have question about if an e-mail or text is real, you can call the church office and we will verify for you.
Thank you for your patience as we work through this issue. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us!